Wild blackberry pie is a summer staple in our house. It’s an annual event: picking, baking, and most importantly EATING this deliciousness of summer. Super easy, but super amazing – all that a home baked dessert should be.
Try it and you’ll have a new annual summer bucket list item!
Recipe: Wild Blackberry Pie
Preparation Time: 80 minutes. (10 minutes active, 70 inactive)
- 1 package of top/bottom prepared pie crusts (or you can get crazy and make your own. Store-bought works beautifully though)
- 5-6 cups wild blackberries, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 Tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup (or more) of the pasta water
- Gently fold the blackberries with sugar, lemon, almond extract, and flour.
- Let blackberry mixture sit for 30 minutes.
- Take your pie crusts out of the refrigerator to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Sprinkle your bottom crust with flour, and place it, flour side down, in your pie pan.
- After the berries have sat for 30 minutes, add the mixture and juices into the pie pan on top of the bottom crust.
- Drape your top crust over the berries, tucking the edges behind the edges of the bottom crust, and crimping together with your fingers. Make four 1″ cuts in the top crust, to let the steam escape.
- Place in pie in the oven, and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350F, and bake for 40 more minutes. Check after 40 minutes, add more time in 5 minute increments until top crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Serve with your favorite whipped cream on top, and/or vanilla bean ice cream, for a truly special treat.